SQUID WITH A CHORIZO AND WHITE BEAN SALAD
Squid can be used in a variety of different ways. The most common preparation is to cut it into rings which are either coasted in a light batter or breadcrumb or served with a mayonnaise style dip.
I like to prepare it braised in a red wine and tomato sauce where it’s slowly cooked until tender and the rich sauce has thickened it’s finished with chopped parsley and some lemon juice.
If you are preparing fresh squid then you need to remove the plastic looking quill, from the inside of the body. The tentacles are aso edible but you need to also remove the squid’s small but sharp beak which is located at the mouth. It’s other great use is the squid ink, which is often sold in small sachets. The ink is most commonly used to make delicious black coloured risotto or a fish stock based sauce Nero.
200g white beans soaked for 24 hrs
12 squid tubes (cleaned)
100g chorizo sausage (cut into 2cm dice)
1 red onion (peeled and cut into a 2cm dice)
1 medium hot chilli (peeled, deseeded and finely diced)
1 red pepper (peeled, deseeded and cut into 2cm dice)
2 plum tomatoes (peeled, deseeded and cut into 2cm dice)
Handful of fresh coriander stalks removed
2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Drain the soaked white beans, put them into a pan and cover with cold water, add a pinch of salt.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the body pouch of each squid, open along one side and score the inner side with the tip of a small sharp knife into a fine diamond pattern
- Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil into a hot pan and add the chorizo, fry for about 2 minutes until the chorizo begins to colour.
- Add the chilli, red onion and red pepper to the pan and continue to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the cooled beans, diced tomato and coriander. Adjust the seasoning with a little salt and lemon juice.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan over a high heat.
- Season the squid with salt and add to the pan scored side facing upwards, cook for 1 minute
- Remove the squid from the pan and season with a little lemon juice.
- Divide the salad between 4 plates and top with the squid.