POACHED POUSSIN WITH CREAMED CABBAGE, HORSERADISH AND SPRING VEGETABLES
6 Oven-ready poussin
6 Cloves of garlic
2 Litres of fresh chicken stock
2 Savoy cabbage
3 Tbsp creamed horseradish
12 Spears of asparagus
200ml Double cream
Vegetable oil for frying
- Lightly salt the poussin inside the carcass and on the surface of the birds.
- Wrap each bird in a piece of muslin cloth, then tie with string approx. 20 x 20cm.
- Place the birds into a pot that they fit snugly into, add the thyme and the stock to the pan so the birds are just covered.
- Bring the stock to the boil and cover with a piece of round greaseproof paper.
- Place the pot into the oven at 200˚c for 20 minutes so that the birds are cooked through.
- Remove the birds from the pot and set them aside in a warm place.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into batons 1cm square by 6cm long.
- Add the carrots to the stock and place the pot onto a high heat and cook until it has reduced to approximately 500ml, and so the carrots are just cooked.
- Cook the asparagus and savoy cabbage separately in boiling salted water until tender.
- Divide the cabbage between the bowls and add the asparagus to the stock.
- Whist the horseradish into the stock pan and add the cream.
- Adjust the seasoning of the sauce.
- Remove the breasts and legs from the cooked birds with a sharp knife and place into the bowls on top of the cabbage.
- Spoon some of the sauce and vegetables into the bowls over the poussin and serve.