HERB CRUSTED DORNOCH LAMB
FOR THE HERB CRUST
200g breadcrumbs left to dry for 1 hour at room temperature
70g curly parsley, chopped very finely
190g unsalted butter, diced and at room temperature
80g Gruyere cheese, grated
Salt to taste
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until well mixed.
- Roll the dough between two layers of cling film on a flat surface to a thickness of 2mm.
- Chill in the fridge to firm up on a flat tray.
FOR THE AUBERGINE CAVIAR
2 clove of garlic
1 sprig of thyme
- Pre-set oven to 200°c.
- Cut aubergines in half, score the flesh in diagonals, and add thinly sliced garlic into the cuts, sprinkle lightly with salt, cut side up and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil on each half. Top the aubergine with a sprig of thyme.
- Enclose the aubergine in kitchen foil and bake for 15-25 minutes or until the flesh of the aubergine is soft and cooked through.
- Allow to cool slightly and scrape flesh from aubergine on to a chopping board and discard the skin.
- Finely chop to a puree, season with salt and pepper, transfer into a bowl and keep aside until ready to use.
FOR THE ROSTI
3 large floury potatoes e.g. Maris Piper, Golden Wonder
Vegetable oil for frying
- Peel and wash the potatoes well.
- Using a mandolin cut the potatoes lengthways into fine julienne strips and squeeze the excess moisture out of the potatoes.
- Pour a fine layer of vegetable oil into a cold frying pan and mould a fine layer of the potato into a disc using a round cutter or metal ring.
- Place the pan onto a medium heat and cook until the potato has turned a golden brown on one side and has become very crispy.
- Flip the rosti over and cook it until golden brown on the other side.
- Remove the rosti from the pan onto a piece of kitchen paper and season it lightly with salt.
FOR THE BROAD BEAN & TOMATO JUS
12 chicken wings
100ml white wine
1 clove of garlic
200g white mushrooms
1 sprig of tarragon
1 litre of home-made chicken stock
100ml double cream
2 tomatoes peeled
100g broad beans blanched and peeled
- Chop the chicken wings in three pieces and roast in a heavy based pan with vegetable oil and a little salt. The wings should be roasted in several batches so that the pan base is not too full, being careful not to let the pan burn.
- Remove all the fat from the pan and deglaze with the white wine.
- Add the shallots and garlic, peeled and finely sliced, add the mushrooms, washed and sliced. Reduce until the liquid is almost completely evaporated.
- Add the wings back to the pan along with the chicken stock and tarragon, reduce by two thirds.
- Add the double cream and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the stove and allow to cool for 3o minutes. Then strain through a fine sieve and adjust the seasoning. When cool, store covered in the fridge until required.
- To finish the sauce add the broad beans and tomato dice.
PREPARING THE LAMB
6 x 120g portions lamb loin
- Season lamb with salt. Heat a sauté pan until very hot. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and carefully color the outside of each piece. This will only take 30-60 seconds. Transfer onto a kitchen towel.
- Cut the herb crust to fit the top of the lamb.
COOKING THE LAMB AND SERVING
- Preheat the oven to 200ºc
- On a baking sheet, cook the lamb for 4-6 minutes, then remove and rest for 5 minutes before slicing.If you like your lamb well done, cook for 10-12 minutes ( allowing the lamb to cook for 5 minutes before adding the crust.)
- Place the aubergine in the centre of a warmed plate.
- Place the potato rosti on top.
- Place the lamb on the rosti.
- Sauce around with the broad bean and tomato jus.